I don’t remember what caused me to pull out an old game and trying to install it. The game in question is Pharao which runs on Windows 98. It does not run on Windows XP and certainly not on Linux. Therefore I searched for ways to get it to run.
Archiv für die Kategorie „Linux“
I recently installed Linux Mind Debian Edition (LMDE), and everything worked perfect, until I wanted to watch a video tutorial. There was no sound, though opening an mp3 file from the browser worked. So I googled a bit, found some hints and one solution:
I checked the files ~/.pulse/*-default-sink and ~/.pulse/*-default-source. The entries were different. One said alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor and the other only alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo After compliting the missing .monitor and forcing alsa to reload the configuration
sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
the sound worked.
In preparation to create a timelapse of my modeling work, I had to figure out a way how to record it on Linux. It turns out that it is not that complicated and is comprised of the steps:
- The periodical screenshots
- Compile the images into a movie
The solution I found works for me on a Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), but I see no reason, why it should not work for any other Linux distribution.
All this I figured out with the help of Kvisle’s Post on this issue.
Because I started artwork with blender it became necessary to use my scanner. It is an antiquated piece of hardware (from the last millennium 1999). Up until now I did not use it very often, because I used a better scanner at the office. Or I started up Windows where it is working.
So basically scanning in Linux works out of the box if sane is installed, unless…
Starting up xsane from the menu I got an error message that did not tell me or anybody else anything. Something along the line device could not be initialized snapscan:libusb:006:002. Therefore I tried the same on the console in the hope to gain more information and I was successful:
[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin. [snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.
With this message I searched the web and found Martin Meyerspeer had the same problem with another device. The basic is that you need a binary firmware file that is referenced. The file can be found on the accompanying driver CD. If your are lucky you did not throw it out already. In my case it was simple because the firmware files were not packed in an archive. There were however several of them. The SnapScan homepage helped me out locating the correct on. The rest is just following Martins description.
Over the holidays I took my notebook into another wireless network. When I came back I could not connect to the network. This had two causes:
First: The router which I used for a DHCP server had only an IP pool size of 4. All IPs where resolved. The pool size is not changeable. The cause for this was that I use an open WLAN over which all the gigs that received a new iPhone for Christmas connected. Rebooting the router cleared the pool and I could at least connect through the wire.
Second: This is more puzzling and I have not yet figured out the cause, but I found a remedy. Before resolving the first point my notebook could connect through the access point but could only access local pages. This was of course because wlan0 did not receive a IP from the DHCP server but used an old one witch fortunately did not conflict. After resolving the first point the wlan0 interface did receive its own new IP but still accessing URLs outside did not work though pinging an IP did. This suggested that the URL could not be resolved through a DNS. This was verified by checking /etc/resov.conf where no entries for nameservers could be found. Adding the appropriate ones solved it.
A possible cause may lie therein that the access point and the router do not share the same netmask (router: 255.255.255.248 and AP: 255.255.0.0). This would suggest, that the AP can see the router but the router not the AP.