Thunderbird and Firfox crash on startup

Due to a messed up update (misconfiguration of Gnome), I was forced to reinstall my Linux. I took this opportunity to upgrade to LMDE 201303 (Update pack 6). When starting up the new system everything worked fine, but as I went along to configure it as I wanted it to be, Firefox and Thunderbird stopped working. Firefox did not start anymore at all, without any error message. Thunderbird tried to send a crash report, but failed also without any error message.

It took me some iterations of reinstalling the system to solve the mystery. So in case you stumble into the same problem, here is my cause/solution:

I had my system set up with different partitions, so they had to be mounted. I usually use ( /, /usr, /opt and /home). As it turned out everything fell apart as soon as I mounted my old /opt partition. The reason for this is that both Firefox and Thunderbird are installed there (on Linux Mint Debian Edition at least). So this of course meant that The configuration and the application did not match.

Integrate antique scanner in Ubuntu

Because I started artwork with blender it became necessary to use my scanner. It is an antiquated piece of hardware  (from the last millennium 1999). Up until now I did not use it very often, because I used a better scanner at the office. Or I started up Windows where it is working.

So basically scanning in Linux works out of the box if sane is installed, unless…

Starting up xsane from the menu I got an error message that did not tell me or anybody else anything. Something along the line device could not be initialized snapscan:libusb:006:002. Therefore I tried the same on the console in the hope to gain more information and I was successful:

[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin.
[snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.

With this message I searched the web and found Martin Meyerspeer had the same problem with another device. The basic is that you need a binary firmware file that is referenced. The file can be found on the accompanying driver CD. If your are lucky you did not throw it out already.  In my case it was simple because the firmware files were not packed in an archive. There were however several of them. The SnapScan homepage helped me out locating the correct on. The rest is just following Martins description.

Failed to resolve URLs through WLAN

Over the holidays I took my notebook into another wireless network. When I came back I could not connect to the network. This had two causes:
First: The router which I used for a DHCP server had only an IP pool size of 4. All IPs where resolved. The pool size is not changeable. The cause for this was that I use an open WLAN over which all the gigs that received a new iPhone for Christmas connected. Rebooting the router cleared the pool and I could at least connect through the wire.
Second: This is more puzzling and I have not yet figured out the cause, but I found a remedy. Before resolving the first point my notebook could connect through the access point but could only access local pages. This was of course because wlan0 did not receive a IP from the DHCP server but used an old one witch fortunately did not conflict. After resolving the first point the wlan0 interface did receive its own new IP but still accessing URLs outside did not work though pinging an IP did. This suggested that the URL could not be resolved through a DNS. This was verified by checking /etc/resov.conf where no entries for nameservers could be found. Adding the appropriate ones solved it.
A possible cause may lie therein that the access point and the router do not share the same netmask (router: 255.255.255.248 and AP: 255.255.0.0). This would suggest, that the AP can see the router but the router not the AP.

Bootproblems with Linux

Recently I made some changes on my network. This resulted in chaos so I decided that I reboot my Linux machine. This piece of hardware is already a bit older and in dire need of replacement. There are legacy installations of Windows XP and Windows 98 which are seldom used. Due to the hardware limits this is installed as dual boot.
I restarted the machine and Windows got up even though Linux was the default in the grub bootloader.
„Bootproblems with Linux“ weiterlesen

Network with Linux not working

Half a year ago I bought a Notebook (Lenovo 3000 N500). It came with Windows Vista pre-installed. With Windows everything seemed to work. I could hook the notebook to the network and thereby access the internet. Since Windows is just not ‚it‘ I installed Ubuntu. There only the wireless networking worked. Serious web research did not offer any solutions. Therefore I describe it here:
If you issue the ifconfig command you will only get the lo loopback interface and if enabled the wlan0 interface. The device eth0 is available under /dev. If you issue ifconfig eth0 the interface information is displayed, though no IP is assigned. If you try to bring it up through ifconfig up eth0 you will receive the error No such device even though we verified the existence of the device.
It seems to me like a hardware problem which windows is better suited to handle. I get the impression that Windows™ is expected to handle faulty harware or hardware configuration.
The solution to hook the notebook up with the network with Linux was to buy an external USB adapter for the network. I choose the D-Link DUB-E100 since it is verified to work with Linux (Kernel version 2.4.22).