Since some time now KPhotoAlbum crashes on my Linux Mint Debian Edition, when new images are searched (and some other actions). As this is really annoying I looked for solutions. Updating to a newer version than 4.1.1 was not possible. Compiling from source was also out due to library version conflicts. All I really needed was a way to add new files to the index.xml file, which is KPhotoAlbums database. Due to the XML nature of the problem, I gave Groovy a shot.
Due to a messed up update (misconfiguration of Gnome), I was forced to reinstall my Linux. I took this opportunity to upgrade to LMDE 201303 (Update pack 6). When starting up the new system everything worked fine, but as I went along to configure it as I wanted it to be, Firefox and Thunderbird stopped working. Firefox did not start anymore at all, without any error message. Thunderbird tried to send a crash report, but failed also without any error message.
It took me some iterations of reinstalling the system to solve the mystery. So in case you stumble into the same problem, here is my cause/solution:
I had my system set up with different partitions, so they had to be mounted. I usually use ( /, /usr, /opt and /home). As it turned out everything fell apart as soon as I mounted my old /opt partition. The reason for this is that both Firefox and Thunderbird are installed there (on Linux Mint Debian Edition at least). So this of course meant that The configuration and the application did not match.
I don’t remember what caused me to pull out an old game and trying to install it. The game in question is Pharao which runs on Windows 98. It does not run on Windows XP and certainly not on Linux. Therefore I searched for ways to get it to run.
I recently installed Linux Mind Debian Edition (LMDE), and everything worked perfect, until I wanted to watch a video tutorial. There was no sound, though opening an mp3 file from the browser worked. So I googled a bit, found some hints and one solution:
I checked the files ~/.pulse/*-default-sink and ~/.pulse/*-default-source. The entries were different. One said alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo.monitor and the other only alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo After compliting the missing .monitor and forcing alsa to reload the configuration
sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
the sound worked.
In preparation to create a timelapse of my modeling work, I had to figure out a way how to record it on Linux. It turns out that it is not that complicated and is comprised of the steps:
- The periodical screenshots
- Compile the images into a movie
The solution I found works for me on a Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), but I see no reason, why it should not work for any other Linux distribution.
All this I figured out with the help of Kvisle’s Post on this issue.